Monday, June 25, 2012

Travelin'

Where has the month of June gone?  We took a trip to Arizona as a family a few weeks ago. We met my sister and her family, and my parents in a little town just south of Phoenix. I have known that our daughter is not the greatest traveler (in the car), but this trip was just confirmation that we won't be flying anywhere again anytime soon.

Mia was already on antibiotic prior to the trip for an ear infection so I'm sure the altitude didn't help, but our sweet little girl cried almost the entire 3 hr 45 minute flight. We were THOSE people on the plane with the screaming child. The thing I've known about Mia when we travel in the car is she gets so tired and just can't/won't fall asleep. I'm not sure if she can't get comfortable or there is too much stimulation?   ....regardless, the same applied on the plane. Luckily we were in the very back, but it was still not fun for anyone. At one point the flight attendant asks us if there is anything she can get us....beer, wine? Our flight was at 10 in the a.m.! When I exhaustively answered, "No thanks!" She puts her hand on my arm and says, "No really.....on me, can I get you a glass of wine?". "OK, sure." I almost blurted out! As pathetic as I felt for drinking at 10:30 in the a.m., I do think it helped with my nerves. Mia finally did fall asleep for 20 minutes and woke up just as unhappy as she was prior to sleeping.  The trip home was pretty much the same except we were in the middle of the plane and she did sleep for almost an hour. While in Arizona the kids did great and had a blast. Gavin swam in the pool for hours and we went out for ice cream almost every day. He loves his cousins and has always been a great traveler. Mia will get there one day, but for now the vacations may have to wait :)
Ready for Take Off!!
Happy at the Airport....prior to take off ;)




Gavin with Samantha and Olivia  - Posin'

2 comments:

Emily said...

Love this story! Wine at 10:30 a.m. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do :-)When we took Evy on her first trip she did not sleep one single minute on any of the flights. It's exhausting!

Jami said...

Oh I feel for you. It is so hard feeling helpless. I'm glad your land time was fun!