Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gavin's Not-So Funny Bone

Today I got off work a little early and was excited about the chance of getting to pick Gavin up earlier than normal. Had I known what I was about to walk into I would have asked to see more patients at work! It seems my 2 year old was having a bad day. He was having a bit of a melt down because he wanted to play with the gigantic ball that currently was being played with by one of his friends. Not only that, he was having to sit on Ms. Lauren's lap with ice behind his ear (because he had just bumped his head) while all his other friends were playing. He proceeded to then get mad because I was there to take him home with me! WHAT? Since when does a BALL take precedence over MOMMY? I was offended. (Not really.) I calmly explained that the ball would be there tomorrow for him to play with and that we needed to go bye bye. I have learned that when my son has hit the point-of-no-return there really is no rationalizing with him. Then again, does rationalization ever really occur with a 2 year old? :) As I am holding Gavin's hand trying to pursuade him to come home with me, he decides to fall to the floor where the tantrum continues. I pick him up and now he's crying that his arm hurts. I'm simply irritated at this point and quite frankly did not have a lot of sympathy. He keeps crying that his arm hurts and inside my head I'm thinking, "Well, you shouldn't have thrown yourself onto the floor, Silly!" I try putting on his coat and he won't lift his arm. I look at it and don't see any bumps or bruises so I'm thinking maybe he sprained his wrist or thumb? (That's where he kept telling me it hurt.) When I go to put him into his car seat I can tell that he isn't crying wolf and something really is wrong with his arm. I get him to lift it above his head (that ruled out the shoulder), but he wouldn't open his fingers on his left hand and kept saying he couldn't bend it. He wasn't crying anymore, but wouldn't use his hand. Long story short, we end up at the doctor's office and she diagnoses it as Nursemaid's Elbow a.k.a. his elbow had popped out of socket. I'm sure you know the outcome of this story.....that's right, I had to witness her popping my son's elbow back into socket. :( Gavin was so brave. I, on the other hand, felt like my heart was in my stomach. Ugh. He instantly felt better and gave Dr. Freeman a big High Five when he left. I promised him a "Push-Up" ice cream once we got home for being so brave.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Same thing happened to Evy a few months ago. Although the first doctor we saw brushed it off so the poor thing had her elbow dislocated for 24 hrs until I took her to a different doctor!

Jess said...

Holy Cow! Think he learned his lesson? Let me ask Boston....nope. :) I'm still dreading Boston's first trip to the Doctor for something like this. Hopefully not any day soon.

Patsy Scott said...

Wow. how does an elbo get dislocated? Poor boy! Glad you had the sense to take him to the dr. Three cheers for brave Gavin.

Meghan Rogers said...

Emily - that is horrible the sweet lil thing had to suffer for 24hrs! Ugh. How awful!! Glad they are so resiliant. :)

Billye said...

Oh, wow! Good mothering instincts, Meg. Don't you just somehow KNOW when things are not right! He is so courageous, and so cute! I am sure he will still be venting those 2 yr old emotions, be strong, girl!!

Gary and Kristy Green said...

Wow - I probably would have let that go for a few days before I took Brynn, you're such a good Mom! Glad he's better now, poor guy! I can't believe how grown-up he's getting - he's going to be an awesome big bro!